Monday, November 5, 2007

Monday 17th of March

Monday 17th of March. Another weekend has passed in thrall to the Messengers.
It had been agreed that I would stay the night after the party on Saturday, so that I could drink without worrying about driving myself home. I felt a little self-conscious, standing beside Ralph and Carrie in the hall and saying goodbye to the last departing guests, as if I were part of the family – but that is what In seem to have become.
‘Adopted’, was Jasper Richmond’s word. It was somewhat disturbed by its remarks, but he’s a rather malicious gossip, and probably everything he says should be taken with a pinch of salt. If Carrie is being nice to me just to keep tans on Ralph, it seems a risk strategy. He's already managed to kiss me once, and would have done again on Saturday night if I’d let him.
After the final stragglers had gone. I helped collect the soiled plates and glasses from various rooms on the ground floor, and to stack them in the kitchen ready for the domestic help, who was coming in next morning specially to attend to them. Carrie made us a delicious nightcap, and we sat round the kitchen table sipping this concoction and discussing the higklights of the party before we retired to bed.

From the book ?Thinks', by David Lodge

No comments: