Tuesday, October 2, 2007

One, two, three, testing

One, two, three, testing, testing... [belches] Pardon me! It's, what, 6.51 p.m. on Wednesday 26th February... I'm still in my office, instead of at home, warming my bum in front of the fire and enjoying the first drink of the day, because we have a problem in the Brain... I got a message this afternoon that Captain Haddock had crashed, but it seems to be a hardware failure or possibly wiring... there are technicians and sparks crawling all over the place at the moment trying to locate the source of the trouble and I don't feel like going home until I know that it's been fixed ... the thought of an electrical fire breaking out in the Brain in the middle of the night is scary, unlikely as it is... So I called Carrie to say I'd be late and settle down to do some work on staff assessment I've been putting off... so many fucking forms these days... but when I unlocked the filing cabinet where I keep confidential material my eye fell on the old Pearlcoder and I couldn't resist listening to the tape I recorded last Sunday morning. I played back the tape on the recorder just now , and I must say it was absolutely riveting... though of doubtful experimental value ...not that I'll ever be able to quote much of it in a paper, it's far too personal, too revealing, not to say raunchy at times... but it was fascinating to... to as if were eavesdrop on one's own thoughts.
From the book 'Thinks', by David Lodge

No comments: