Tuesday, July 10, 2007

He let us in

He let us in . The lights were on in the living-room, now that the day had darkened, and my eyes were dazzled for a moment by rays from the glass ornaments which flashed back from every open space. There were angels on the buffet wearing robes striped like peppermint rock; and in an alcove there was a Madonna with a gold face and a gold halo and a blue robe. On a sideboard on a gold stand stood a navy-blue goblet large enough to hold at least four bottles of wine, with a gold trellis curled around the bowl on which pink roses grew and green ivy. There were mauve storks on the bookshelves and red swans and blue fish. Black girls in scarlet dresses held green candle sconces, and shining down on all this was a chandelier which might have been made out of sugar icing hung with pale blue, pink and yellow blossoms.
Her dressing table gleamed with them: mirrors and power-jars and ash-trays and bowls for safety pins. "They brighten the darkest day,? she said. There was a very large double-bed as curlicued as the glass. ?I am especially attached to Venice,' she explained,'because I began my real career there, and my travels. I have always been very fond of travel. It's a great grief to me that my travels now are curtailed
From the book "Travels with my aunt" by Graham Greene.

No comments: